Field update action in Salesforce workflow is one of the most favourite feature for system admin. Here a few items to note and you may not realize when using field update:
- Field updates occur after case assignment, lead assignment, auto-response, and case escalation rules.
- Field updates occur before email alerts, tasks, and outbound messages action.
- If more than 1 field update to the same field in a workflow, the result of a field update is unpredictable.
- Field updates function independently of field-level security. Therefore, a workflow rule can update fields even though the user do not have access to the fields at the field-level security.
- Because updates to records based on workflow rules, it don’t trigger validation rules, assignment, auto-response, or escalation rules.
- Field updates that are executed as approval actions don't trigger workflow rules.
- Workflow rules that update owners do not also transfer associated items, such as open Opportunities when it update Account owner.
When Re-evaluate Workflow Rules After Field Change checkbox is selected:
- It will re-evaluate all workflow rules on the object, if the field update results in a change to the value of the field, workflow rules whose criteria are met as a result of the field update will be triggered.
- When domino effects occur, it will trigger up to five workflows after the initial field update.
- Only workflow rules on the same object as the initial field update will be re-evaluated and triggered.
- Cross-object workflow rules aren’t candidates for re-evaluation, cross-object field updates that cause a field value to change don’t trigger workflow rule re-evaluation.
- Only workflow rules that didn’t fire before will be re-triggered.
Salesforce processes rules in the following order:
- Validation rules
- Assignment rules
- Auto-response rules
- Workflow rules (with immediate actions)
- Escalation rules