Here a few facts on Notes and Attachments good to remember:
- It is not possible to report on the Notes and Attachments related list.
- The Notes & Attachments can be exported directly via the API.
- It is possible to access your Notes & Attachments data by requesting a full data export of your organization's data.
- The only way to get the attachment on a Salesforce email to Attachment is to download the attachment to your local machine, then manually added as an Attachment from the local machine location.
- Notes and attachments marked as Private via the Private checkbox are accessible only to the person who attached them, Administrators and users with View All Data permission.
- You must have “Read/Write” access to parent record to be able to add Notes or Attachments to the record.
- You also need to have “Read/Write” access permission to parent record to be able to edit or delete Notes or Attachments.
- You can write Apex trigger for Notes & Attachments using Force.IDE
Special thanks to Jason Lawrence for the input of Feed Attachment, so if you attach File to Chatter Feed in an Account or Opportunity, it will show as well in Notes & Attachments as Feed Attachment.
Have a nice day!