- Email logs should be available within 30 minutes of your request.
- Email logs are available for messages sent within the past 30 days before your request.
- Each email log can span a maximum of 7 days. To see email log data for a duration longer than seven days, create multiple requests.
- Email logs include emails sent through email actions, list email, and mass email, as long as the emails are sent through Salesforce.
In this blog, I'll not share on how to request email log, you can refer to this documentation Request an Email Log, and check this documentation Email Log Reference to understand the format and field values of email log files. I'll share columns need to put attention when you are tracing email send out from Salesforce:
The date and time here are always in GMT, so make sure to convert into your timezone if you are checking for specific email at certain times. But, when you request for email logs, enter the time in your local timezone.
D - Delivery: the email was successfully sent to the recipients.
R - Reception: the email was successfully received by Salesforce email server.
The email address of the person to whom the email is sent.
The email address of the person who sent the email, but in many cases, this will not show the exact email address, but mailbox name before @ will be there, example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- There are 3 color highlights in above screenshot, this is for 3 difference emails.
- Email received by Salesforce email server (R), then send out in a few seconds (D).
- The yellow highlight means, there are 3 recipients in that one email, row 7 correspondence to row 3, row 6 correspondence to row 4, and row 5 correspondence to row 2. Each pair has the same Internal Message ID.
When you open email sent in Gmail, you will notice email sender contain a portion of the sender in email logs (see above and below screenshots in pink).
Let's see more columns:
This is IP address of the email server that received the email sent.
The size of the email in "byte", not KB or MB.
The Salesforce ID of the user who sent the email.
Message ID Header
If you are using Gmail, you can check this by click "Show Original"
The screenshot below shows the message header in Gmail, see the highlights in green.