Recently, we have user complain above error when the object is still in use. Here are few causes of that error taken from Salesforce article.
1. An object used in the relationship is not enabled for reporting
2. A look-up relationship used in the report was deleted or changed its type (changing from master-detail to look-up also makes a report obsolete)
3. An object in the report was deleted.
4. A profile does not have visibility to an object
5. The report is based on an object that belongs to a “managed package” “In Development” status, therefore not all users will have access to it.
In our scenario, recently we purchased a managed package app, it is working fine and no issue. But, a user from higher management role complain he get this error. We follow above checkpoints:
1. Enable Reports is tick for that custom object, skip.
2. The report is on parent object, not child, skip.
3. Report is still there and working fine, skip.
4. We go to user profile and Read access for the user profile is there, skip
5. This object is a Manage Package object, but Deployment Status = Deployed, skip.
So none of above condition exist for the user. We even going further to check if the user have access to report folder, and we see user role for the report folder is Viewer, skip.
After discuss with the users, we get more info:
- A user set weekly schedule dashboard refresh and this effected user is in the recipient of Email Dashboard.
- User receive the email and dashboard is showed without issue within that email
- When user click the report in email he got above error Obsolete Report
Finally, we found the issue - yay..... this is because the object is created from Managed installed package, and this user has no license to the package, so once we add license for that user and it works :)
Actually, it fall under point number 4 in conditions above, where user do not have visibility of the object, it just like we forget extra checkpoint for managed package object. ALL DONE!!
Reference: Why do some reports return an 'obsolete report' error message?